Strategic creative leader with a proven record of developing interactive apps and branded digital experiences for some of the world’s most recognized brands. Excels at creative concept development and inspiring creative teams. Creative work rewarded with multiple awards, including two Webby Awards, and featured in several industry blogs and magazines.
Group Creative Director
As group creative director, oversee the visual, ux and graphic production teams for an integrated digital agency within the Publicis Groupe. Primarily support the Apple marketing business, concepting and delivering large projects for Apple.com and Apple Retail. Present work and brainstorm with the senior Apple creative and executive leadership teams. Support agency new business efforts and manage creative teams across locations.
Founded strategic agency providing creative direction and UX services to clients worldwide. Developed agency branding, built internal processes and directed overall strategic vision. As user experiences director, ran day-to-day creative process on multiple accounts and new business pitches. Successfully launched large interactive initiatives for major brands.
• Developed and won new business efforts for National Geographic, Apple Computer, and Whole Foods Market
• Created overall concept and UX for National Geographic’s Facebook app which helped grow it to over 13 million fans
• Designed UX for Scion owners iOS mobile app
• Won multiple awards for creative work; Mojave was named one of the “Top 99 creative agencies” by the Creative Agency Awards
Clients: Whole Foods Market, Apple Computer, SIGG, CafePress, Bio-Rad, PerriconeMD, National Geographic
Young and Rubicam / Wunderman
Led interactive department for one of the world’s largest advertising agencies. Grew interactive group from three freelancers to a fully-staffed department of cross-functional employees, including UX, UI, producers and programmers.
• Created and developed NCAA campaign using Facebook, before Facebook was open to users outside of university students
• Developed the most successful online campaign for a semiconductor company’s history, directly driving sales and growing partner relationships
• Developed rich media advertising for a multinational company that was so successful the campaign was extended indefinitely and set as a model for all future online efforts
• Created online campaign for major technology company that exceeded a 2.6% average CTR, with customers spending an average of 12 minutes interacting with the brand online
Clients: 7up, AMD, Microsoft, Hitachi, Dr Pepper, Chevron, Polycom, Foster Farms, Wal-Mart, NCAA
Senior Art Director
Brought into Yahoo’s IDEA group, an internal creative garageworks, to help concept and launch new initiatives for the company. Developed brand identity and user experience for several Yahoo properties. Managed outside vendors for large print, online and photography projects totaling millions of dollars.
• Designed and developed UX for the Small Business e-commerce website, a major profit center for Yahoo
• Created the Yahoo Small Business Welcome Kit, which was delivered to hundreds of thousands of customers
• Won annual Purple Cow Award for innovative marketing
Interactive Design Director
Hired to provide creative direction and team management for a full-service advertising agency. Lead the creative development of interactive advertising and website development projects.
• Partnered with General Manager to identify and pitch new business efforts, including winning the PeopleSoft advertising business
• Won a Webby award in the Activism category for redesign of volunteermatch.org
Clients: PeopleSoft, Cisco Systems, Metricom inc., VolunteerMatch, Netscape, Wine.com
Founder, Creative Director
Started agency and grew it from a freelance operation to a successful, 25-person website development agency that was later acquired by a technology company. Provided creative vision and art direction for the development of all client work.
• Designed and built the first Anchor Brewing website, an iconic San Francisco brand
• Won Webby Award for outstanding work on Outside Magazine’s online presence
• Created UX for EA’s Madden online, one of the earliest web apps
Clients: EA Sports, Outside Magazine, Passporta.com, Hewlett-Packard, Spin Magazine, First Union Bank, Mauk design.
Senior Art Director
Joined Frog Design, a global innovation firm founded in 1969 with over 1,600 employees worldwide, to help lead Digital Media Design group at its new San Francisco office. Lead creative development for online user experiences, ecommerce, touch-screen and mobile interfaces.
• Graphic designer on Dell.com project, Frog’s top-grossing website to date, setting a new standard for e-commerce
• Developed user interface specifications, site architecture and conducted user experience audits for websites and consumer electronic devices
• Work featured in the book Frog: Form Follows Emotion by Crown Publishing
Clients: Micron Computer, LA Times, More.com, Greentree, SF Moma
Hired upon the return of Steve Jobs to lead redesign of the Apple.com website. Was solely responsible for developing new website design that encompassed all of Apple’s business units, ensuring consistent brand experience for the customer.
• Developed UX and visual design of first unified Apple.com website
• Website launch was an outstanding success, helping to extend Apple’s online brand and gain significant media attention and awards
• Developed online marketing campaigns that leveraged the “Think Different” campaign during what now is called the “Return to profitability” phase
Robert Gourley is a user experience director who develops interactive apps and tools that encourage participation over interruption. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss a potential project.